Re: Why can user virtual addresses sometimes be dereferenced in the kernel?

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:58:31 +0000, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:59:59 +0100, Arjan van de Ven
> <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 12:54 -0600, Timur Tabi wrote:
> > > I recently discovered in a driver I'm working on that there are several
> > > places where a user-space virtual address is being dereferenced
> > > successfully.  I was under the impression that that should not work -
> > > user pointers should not be usuable in kernel space.
> >
> > it may work. you may be lucky. The page also may be swapped out and you
> > crash and burn
>
> > as for fc2/3; those kernels have a separate address space for user and
> > kernel, and as a result such rogue accesses will almost always crash,
> > not just sometimes.
>
> You know, I had wondered what use this patchset had other than for
> folks with 32bit systems straining under userspace limits - this is
> actually a pretty cool driver diagnostic tool in and of itself :-)

Wait a second... Separate address spaces for user and kerenl space? That
means switching page tables on each kernel entry/exit. That means tlb
flush on each interrupt. That would mean quite a slowdown.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>