Re: Insmod error......

--- Jean-Francois Ndi <jeanf.ndi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 27 January 2005 17:01, Gaurav Dhiman
> wrote:
> > whats the reason that we shud not use /usr/src/*
> > location to compile the modules. Is the kernel
> source
> > code in this directory not complete ?
>
> It can be. Don't rely on it.
>
> > And how does /lib/modules/* have more than one
> kernel
> > sources in it ..... when i installed the linux 7.2
> on
> > my machine, it did not create different
> directories
> > under /lib/modules/, i can not find any kernel
> sources
> > or include files under /lib/modules/. I only have
> > kernel sources installed in /usr/src/*
>
>  The problem would be different if you were running
> different kernels (for
> instance in 2.6, one with PREEMPT enable and the
> other not)

Yes the prob will be there if my running kernel is of
different version from the sources of the kernel I
have in /usr/src/* , but I always assume (as i did not
faced any prob yet) that the running kernel have its
sources in /usr/src/*

Well I think it does not matter where the sources are
placed in your filesystem, we just need to compile the
modules with sources (i mean only include files) of
the kernel version to which we want to load our module
with and i think that this is the reason that most of
the kernel modules/device drivers are available on net
in the form of sources rather than binaries, as they
can not provide a binary for each of the kernel
versions, so better to provide the sources and then a
user cancompile the sources with right kernel to form
the loadable binary.

Am I right ?

--gd

=====