RE: Device Driver: starting with just a card

I think it's also called not re-inventing the wheel!  :)

-----Original Message-----
From: kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Timur Tabi
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 7:44 AM
To: kernel newbies
Subject: Re: Device Driver: starting with just a card

Stephen torri wrote:

> Ok. Cheating to me would be to look at the code that someone else has
> done to write a parallel port driver. Where would I find documentation
> for common parallel port hardware? I have a Intel 440BX chipset, old I
> know, on this computer.

It's not cheating if you study the code to learn the protocol, and then
write a new driver from scratch.

Or you could look at the code from another OS.  DOS and OS/2 are good
choices for this.

The parallel port interface is documented in tons of older PC
programming books.

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer