Device Driver: starting with just a card

I have been able to get a simple test module to work in the 2.6 kernel I
have installed on my machine. This is exciting and very encouraging. So
to continue on from this success I am eager to write an actual device
driver.

A standard situation I find is that I can get a new card from someone as
a donation or buy one from the store. The card has windows drivers and
no linux drivers. If I just have the card how do I go about writing a
device driver for it?

For example I have a few ethernet cards setting around which I believe
already have an existing driver written in the kernel. I could use those
because they give me at least another driver that is known to work in
order to compare my driver against it. Is an ethernet card too hard to
start out with as the first driver?

Other things that I have sitting around is a Soundblaster Live (don't
know exact model) and an old 3DFx graphics card.

Stephen