From: kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 11:55 PM
To: Claudio Fiorini
Cc: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: usb

I like your idea very much.  I've thought about the same sort of thing for
a few of my gizmos.  In my case however...

<rant>
...my cellphone provider charges me money for every bit of info I
transfer.  For example, US$0.25 for each picture transfered, US$0.25 for
every text message received or sent, etc.  It seems that cell phone
providers here in the US are not in the business of providing service;
they provide features.  For those of us that like to create our own
features based on the services we buy, this is pretty annoying.
Furthermore, I'd be shocked if Motorola would release the information that
you need to do your project considering 1) that most of their phone sales
are probably to the "service" providers (i.e., not directly to the
consumer), and 2) that the "service" provider would prefer that you
transfer your data over their network so they can charge you.
</rant>

On the other hand, perhaps providers in your country are a bit more open
and a bit less monopolistic.  Buona fortuna with your reverse-engineering
project!

Ciao,
Brian