cd drive drivers' error message

Hello all,
        My cd-drive is behaving weirdly when I insert a cd-rom in it.It
reacts
in any of the following ways:
        System hangs
        Display garbles + system hangs
        System turns off immediately
        Runs normally!
Also sometimes the system doesn't turn on when  I press the power/reset
button.Then I will off and on the UPS then the system turns on before I
press the power button.

Sometimes the system turns on upon pressing the power button,hardisk
activity seems to happen ,but nothing not-even "POST "messages come up
and the CPU fan keeps rotating.the leds(power+hdd)continue glowing.

Another strange thing that I notice is that :When the system boots up
sometimes the modem(serial) has two leds glowing and sometimes only one
led glowing(I guess 1 led means proper initialization).These leds are
control signals for the modem.CT,...and not power / anything else(venus
modem)

Im unable to figure out the faulty hardware section.But once when I
tried to copy some content from the cd to hdd in linux I recv. the
following error messages:

hdd:command error:status=0x51 {Drive Ready SeekComplete Error}
hdd:command error:error=0x54

After those error messages the system got stuck.Then I restarted the m/c
and the /var/log/messages showed the following two messages at two
different times:

kernel:hda:hda:dma_intr:status=0x51 {Drive Ready SeekComplete Error}
kernel:hda:dma_intr:error=0x84 {Drive StatusError Bad CRC}

I guess there is some system initialization problem.
 or DMA problem(last 2 messages}

Please help me in this aspect.Any way to debug further and diagnose and
corner the faulty section?I think the device driver writers can help me
in this aspect.Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

kaushal.