system moniter

  dear sir
i want to design a system moniter for linux
could you just guide me on what will be the basic architerture like:
i have thought of
kernel(using printk)->logfile(myfile)->application
but in order to make it real time .please correct me on this architecture
and i am unable to find some funtions where the user as well as kernel threads are actually exited also i want to distinguish between the user level and kernel level at that moment.but as i have done during the forking of thread in fork.c in do_fork function through the use of
if(p->mm==null)i could check the kernel thread or user thread but i am unable do so during exit in exit.c in do_exit function it seems that in somewhere between execution the tsk->mm is being filled up .
so do i need to find some other place from which i can find out about exiting threads and processes and what will i check to see the user thread is exited or kernel thread.
thanks sounak