Re: understanding linux

Zubair Adamjee wrote:

Thanks a lot for your email. Mel Gorman's doc is
certainly great and I leant a lot from it, but if we
were to take this book away I dont think we have a
great resource that explains VM. So this is what I am
wondering did not the author of VM submitted docs
along with their code and if so where are they
available?

There is no such fixed author for VM hackers like Rik Van Reil ...
submit their patches and the whole VM system is made
up such pacthes. Designs of such patches are usually presented in
Symposiums like OLS. Before such a patch goes in the mainstream kernel
the code is reviewed by senior developers like Andrew Morton.

Or is it that Linux Kernel developers just submit code
and patches and usually no documentaion is provided to
explain the software architecture

Yes only the code is submitted During submitting the code they give a brief overview of
what their code is supposed to do and how it does it but this is a very small preview.

, and then people
just understand it by looking at code, and may be some
people share their knowledge by writing books etc?

Yes thats the way it works. You can ask Mel how he went about it ;).

Regarding my malloc question, I just had this thought
that how does malloc work, now obviously it uses some
system calls like brk etc, but what I am wondering is
that say someone wants to implement malloc then he
will need to know what kind of calls and pointers are
available oto a process etc, so where does one ets thi
sinfo, is google or asking on mailing lists the only
way or is their a place where different components of
Linux are documented and their archtecture explained.

You did the right thing in asking in a mailing list.
It would be much useful if you post this question in
the linux-mm and lkml mailing list as well.
You will be much more likely to get better help/guidance

Thanks a lot in advance.

You are welcome
Regards,
Ashwin