RE: kernel_lock()

>From the understang Linix Kernel book, it states that lock_kernel() and
unlock_kernel() works on a spin lock called kernel_flag, which is mainly
used to protect a wide vieriety of data structures including VFS/file
handling, data structures related to networking, IPC structures, and
several less important  kernel data structrues. It states that not all
the kernel data structures are protected by specific spin locks.

With 2.2 it introduced many single ( smaller )  spin locks to have more
concurrency.

Aboo