Re: Can a driver create a VMA?

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> yes except that your kernel driver does these things to the app behind the
> apps back.

Not true. The app calls our library with the specific intent of locking the memory buffer, and the library calls our driver. If the app didn't want the memory region locked, then it would not use the "lock this memory region" API.

> And esp if the kernel side can't cope with this changing it's most likely a
> security hole

If I create a VMA, can the app modify it? Even if it could, wouldn't the CPU catch any attempt to have the VMA point to memory outside the app's process?

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer