RE: Filesystem magic number

If the root file system is a module, it generally gets loaded from the
initrd image. So when the kernel initializes and before mounting root
file system, it will mount the initrd file system and runs /linuxrc (
which has insmod <modules> statements) from the root of the initrd file
system which then loads the modules required for system boot inluding
root file system. All the required modules will stored in the initrd
image itself.  Then kernel can mount root and continue booting ... Any
comments ?