RE: Linux VFS and inode numbers in the inode list

Hi,

>  Please help me with this question.
>
> I was working with Certain NFS server
> implimentations which returns
>  64bit fileids. Linux seems to be converting these
> 64 bit
> file ids to
>  32bit inode numbers before storing it in the inode
> table (Inode
>  information is filled by lookup inode operation,
> which calls
>  nfs_lookup, which then calls nfs_fhget).
>
>  Because of this converstion from 64 bit to 32 bit,
> there could be
>  duplicate inode numbers in VFS inode list ( Do not
> doubt it, I have
>  seen it practically and bit difficult to explain,
> but it happens).
>
>  Will the system run in to some issues if there is
> duplicate inode
>  numbers ?.
>
>  As far as I know, all the access to inode list is
> through dentry
> cache. So it should not be a problem, I guess. Is
> there any kernel
> functions which purely works with inode numbers to
> locate the inode
>  details from the inode list ?
>
>  Any ideas ?
>
>From basic thory of filesystem inode number is unique
and are  only means to access  from storage device and
populated in in-core inode structure(BACH),
And Mainly,
Even though all access are through dentry structure,
and you also given reference of nfs_lookup,
dentries are negative when first time lookup are fired
on files in nfs_lookup.
This means there are no inodes pointed by this dentry.
And nfs or any filesystem has first have to iget it,
and which is only possible if unique inode number is
given,and that's what nfs does(i guess) or in genral
any filesystem does,
After iget it attaches the inode to dentry and make
that dentry positive.
So these numbers are unique.And you never found them
duplicate inside any filesystem.

Thanks
Prasanna