kernel programming environments/tools

Hello,

I am very new to kernel programming and today I subscribed this helpful List.
Since a couple of months I have started to read a few books (Rubini, Cesati,
Love), altogether with the kernel source code, and I want to begin as soon as
possible to hack some code, just for fun...

I'd like to know if any of you use either machine emulators (Bochs or VMware)
or UserModeLinux (UML) to carry on core kernel and device drivers
programming.
I suppose I'd better use some of the above-mentioned tools/environments in
order not to break my running kernel and PC hardware. I also want not to
reboot the machine every time I compile a new kernel.

So I'd like to know if some of you actually use these tools and what you think
about each of them (any other not mentioned?).

Sorry for my poor English. I thank you all in advance.

Ciao,

Fabio De Francesco