Re: Hi - I'm a complete newbie!

Tom,

A good way is to start reading what operating systems
do. read up some books like Operating Systems by
Silberschatz or similar. This should give you a firm
understanding of the concepts.

You would be studying these concepts if you take up
the operating systems course in your computer science
studies.

To add to this you would need to know some programming
languages. I would recommend you learn X86 Assembly
and C/C++.

The reason I suggest assembly is coz you'd get a firm
understanding of the system and can arguement the
theory you read from the books.

Also suggest you install a linux distro and start
hacking away :)

-Sharath