Re: Documentation 2.6

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:45:21 +0100, Daniel Rohrbach <dro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anybody know a good documentation about what's going on in kernel 2.6?

Dave Jones's[0] Post Halloween 2.6 document is interesting:

http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt

Robert Love has a fantastic book (but it's missing a few topics like
networking):

http://www.tech9.net/rml/kernel_book/

There is a revised Linux Device Drivers/Understanding the Linux Kernel
in the pipeline (trying to recall which I was being told about at the
last FOSDEM - UTLK perhaps). Undoubtably there will be both books in
due course and the current deficit will be fixed just in time for 2.7.

> Particularly about memory management and structures, and how these structures
> work thogether in the kernel?

Understanding the Linux Virtual Memory Manager is interesting, but
don't read it or Robert's book if you're on a Eurostar and haven't had
enough sleep - too easy to nodd off :P

> I didn't found any really useful information along the web.

http://www.lwn.net/ <--- For all your kernel needs, go consult Mr. Jon.

I'm writing a series for a Linux magazine at the moment, but it's in
dead tree form - interested readers can go buy Linux User & Developer
from good newsagents.

Jon.

[0] He recently relocated to the US and provides a never-ending source
of daily blogging in his blog at http://diary.codemonkey.org.uk/ - see
also Rusty's wife's blog, AC/Telsa, etc. Oh and buy one of Dave's
Kernel Slacker t-shirts, they're really quite good and don't shrink
too much in the wash either. Guys at work get to laugh at you...if
they didn't already.