Don't understand kernel root parameter's context

I normally run a standard debian setup with my root filesystem as reiserfs
on /dev/hda3.  Because of the modular nature of debian, it creates an initrd
image which means that it all works.  It also uses udev and hotplug to build
the /dev directory in a tmpfs.

It looks from the udev init scripts that the previous /dev has been rebound
to /.dev, so in theory I think that on /dev/hda3 in the dev directory there
is a device file hda3 correctly specifying device 3,3 in the hda3 entry

The kernel images themselves are stored in /dev/hda1 which will ultimately be
mounted as /boot.  Grub is also installed here.

I want to build my own kernel to debug stuff, and because I wish to avoid
initrd have built the kernel with reiserfs built in.

When I boot this new kernel via grub with the root=/dev/hda3 parameter is
panics at the point where it tries to mount root.  All the debian kernels
have this same root parameter and get by just fine.

My question is how does the kernel use /dev/hda3 as the root parameter to find
the correct device to mount the root.  The conundrum that I don't understand
is that /dev/hda3 does not exist within the context of the kernel at this
point.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx