Re: Re: Encrypted Filesystem.

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 9:00:36 -0500, markhamblin@xxxxxxx
<markhamblin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> You could also just store a hash of the password to allow you to authenticate the password.  Then you would not need to store CRCs to cover every block of data in the partition.  Just my $0.02.

As a side note, this is the kind of discussion which has been taking
place on LKML with regard to encrypted swap and the storage of saved
machine state on software suspend.

In that case however, there were also some interestingly weird ideas
about storing passwords on disk so that the average attacker can't get
at it - not a good assumption. I'm not up to date on the exact ideas
which prevailed there but in general it's a *really bad* idea to store
passwords on disk or claim data is encrypted when it's really just
obfuscated.

Cheers,

Jon.