getting irda chip info ?

Hi,

This is maybe not right place to ask
I have a laptop with builtin irda device, which I would like to make work, or try to write the driver for it (although I don't have sufficient programming practice yet ... I'm able to learn fast and work hard :) ) but I have a basic problem: I don't know what chip exactly is built in ... Docs of my notebook doesn't say anything usefull. It works in windows XP, so I trien to get some information from there, but the only useuful information I got was name of the chip is "nsc6001". This mean that manufacturer of the chip should be National Semiconductor company, but on their pages I found following info about irda chips they manufacture: http://www.national.com/pf/PC/PC87393.html
I tried to contact the manufacturer of the notebook, but they didn't respond in 3 days ... I also tried findchip utility from irda-utils package with this result ...

Probing for FDC37C669 ...
Wrong chip id=0xff
Wrong chip id=0xff
Probing for FDC37C669FR ...
Wrong chip id=0xff
Wrong chip id=0xff
Probing for FDC37N869 ...
Wrong chip id=0xff
Wrong chip id=0xff
Probing for FDC37C93xFR ...
Wrong chip id=0xff
Wrong chip id=0xff
Probing for FDC37N957FR ...
Wrong chip id=0xff
Wrong chip id=0xff
Probing for FDC37N958FR ...
Wrong chip id=0xff
Wrong chip id=0xff
Probing for PC87108 ...
no chip at 0x150
no chip at 0x398
no chip at 0x0ea
Probing for PC87338 ...
no chip at 0x398
no chip at 0x15c
Wrong chip id=0x00
Probing for EFER at 0x03f0 ...
hefras = 0xff
Probing for EFER at 0x0370 ...
hefras = 0xff
EFER seems to be probed at 0x0370
chip id = 0xff, revision = 0xff
Wrong device ID = 0xff
Probing for EFER at 0x0250 ...
hefras = 0xff
Probing for EFER at 0x0250 ...
hefras = 0xff
Probing for EFER at 0x03f0 ...
hefras = 0xff
hefere = 0xff
Probing for EFER at 0x03f0 ...
hefras = 0xff
hefere = 0xff
EFER seems to be probed at 0x03f0
chip ID is 0x0f : no known chip was detected.
Couldn't find Winbond superI/O chip.

I wonder if some of you know about other way of getting some information about the chip.
Thank you all, have a nice day

Jan