Re: Encrypted Filesystem.

Hi Jeba

just thinking out loud:

> if that password == password in superblock
> mount filesystem
> else
> mount fails

If the password is also stored then one can use a disk
utility to examine the harddisk and retrieve the
password unless you further encrypt the data too.

while I haven't worked on filesystems, a better
spproach is encrypt the filesystem with the password
which I guess is a symmetric cipher you're using.
Store a CRC of the a particular data. After decryption
if the CRCs match, then allow further access.

essentially:

get passwd
plaintext = decipher(passwd, ciphertext)
if (crc(plaintext)==stored_crc)
{
 /*allow access*/
}