Re: RedHat: Buffer Overflow in "ls" and "mkdir"

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:54:07 -0400, Athul Acharya <aacharya@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just incase anyone was under the misimpression that this is for real,
> it's not; I see no record of this vuln. elsewhere and whois records
> show no affiliation between fedora-redhat.com and redhat.com.  Looks
> like the Linux equivalent of all those fake MS security warnings.

I've forwarded this to RedHat and hope they'll take action against the
persons concerned. It looks like the domain is registered to a private
individual, who is either incredibly stupid, or an innocent victim who
doesn't know they're involved. In any case, this needs to be nipped in
the bud before some halfwit running RHEL on a critical box decides
it's for real.

RedHat have a warning up at http://www.redhat.com/security/

Cheers,

Jon.