Re: Address of Linux kernel in RAM

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:18:50 -0500, Russell Miller <rmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 21 October 2004 10:47, jhoney jhoney wrote:
> > <P>
> > Hello All,<BR>
> > <BR>
> > I would like to know the RAM address at which the linux kernel is sitting
> > and in which file I have to seach for.<BR> <BR>
> > Thanks in Advance<BR>
> > <BR>

> I'll preface this by saying I could be completely wrong.

You are, and you're not. Both in one! Super improved! Now with added vitamin C!

> It's my understanding that the way modern processor architectures work that
> the physical space in RAM has no bearing on what space the process thinks it
> is using, determined by the MMU and paging.

That's true. However the poster asked about the physical memory layout
of the kernel itself, which does have a known location because it is
currently nonpageable.

When the machine boots, there will be an architecturally defined
location for it to live at, determined in part by the hardware
position for exception vectors and so on. The machine will probably
load the kernel at an offset, which necessitates the kernel perform a
relocation and then take up its rightful place in memory.

To find this location, look in the linker scripts for your
architecture. Since I have a feeling that you're using PowerPC, you'll
almost always find that you're sitting at 0x00000000 after any
necessary relocation process, but this can change on the 4xx in
accordance with the value of the EVPR - but we don't set that so
assume it is as I said two lines up.

Jon.