From: kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Tyler
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 3:32 PM
To: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: DMA

jhoney jhoney wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Presently I am working on DMA, I have to DMA the data from PCI HOST to PCI
AGENT. I am searching for the template code for allocating dma buffer and
receiving the data. I thought of following a network device which uses the
DMA the packet to kernel memory and receives an interrupt.
> Could u please tell me the exact code for allocating the space for DMA and
calling the appropriate functions handling the whole dma process in 2.4.27
kernel for network devices

> Thanks in Advance
>
> Jhoney
Hi,
Buffers DMA have to be on a special memory pool which is init at boot time.
you can then allocate DMA buffers with the normal memory functions
(get_page or kmalloc) and with a special flag: __GFP_DMA
kmalloc(size,__GFP_DMA) ;
__get_fre_pages(__GFP_DMA,order) ;