Re: disabling/masking interrupts

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 22:06 +0300, Perfect Stranger wrote:

> I know that the interrupts are divided into maskable and non-maskable
> interrupts. and what i want to know :
> 1- is enabling/disabling interrupts the same as masking/unmasking
> interrupts? and what is the differences in case not ?

Yes.  The definitions are basically the same.  A non-maskable interrupt
is one that cannot be disabled (disabled being the kernel term).

> 2- can non-maskable interrupts be disabled (in the case that the two
> operations (disable/mask) are not the same) ?

No.

> 3- how can disabled interrupts be unlost ?? and how do the PIC sends
> them again to the CPU as they are enabled again ?

No, they are not lost.  They are queued in the interrupt controller and
they pop when you re-enable interrupts.

The only issue is that you only get one interrupt per-line, even if n>1
were queued on that line.  This is almost never a problem, except with
the timer interrupt.

> 4- are masked interrupts lost ? or they are to be send again when they
> are unmasked ?

See #3.

	Robert Love