RE: copy_to/from_use query?

Jon,

You must be tired of answering questions :)

> then how does copy_from_user and copy_to_user work? (I don't know
enough
> assembly to understand the code in uaccess.h)

Roughly this goes on:

    *). Check validity of vma and process memory mapping.
    *). Check page is available.
    *). Copy the data accross.

Point number 2 here ( check page is available ) ... What if page is not
available and there is no page table/page directory set up for this ?
Does it cause a page fault ? or it make sure that there is no page fault
by doing all the page table manipulation and getting the page frame for
the request  ( pretty much does all the jobs by a page fault handler ) ?

Why is copy_to_user() required ? can it be implemented inside the page
fault handler itself to take care of page faults happened addressing
user memory from kernel mode when doing a simple memcpy ?  In either
case ( even we use copy_to_user) the process is going to be put to
sleep/block if the request can'nt be met immediately.

Aboo