Re: Understanding Interrupts

Thanks for the help!
I did understand most of it, just a little unsure on the
last thing you said.

>   Yes, by disabling an interrupt, interrupt controller or
>   processor doesn't invoke kernel IRQ for that interrupt.
>   The main job is performed by interrupt controller and
>   not the processor. But, that interrupt is not lost. Once
>   an interrupt is enabled, kernel gets the IRQ.

I hope I got this right. You mean to disable an interrupt by
masking it out in the interrupt controller, and not with cli?
Since this will program the controller, and not the CPU as
you said.

If there are more than one interrupt occurring on the same
IRQ line, will the processor receive all those interrupts when
they are enabled, or just the last.
For example, if I disable the timer IRQ and later enable it.
Will the CPU get all those missed timer interrupts, or just
the last one?

Is this true for clearing IF with cli as well? that the interrupt
will not be lost?

>   Hope this answers all your questions. Read Linux Kernel
>   Development by Robert Love.

Thanks, I'll check if they have it at my local bookstore.

/Michael