Re: how does kernel know?

>      But what i told you was a practical experience. On my fedora core
> 2 box in the office, for several times, I rmmoded parport, parport_pc
> and lp modules  and checked through lsmod if they did actually got
> removed, they sure did. But they used to get loaded automatically when
> I used to open /dev/lp0. If you have problems believing this, I can
> give you a shell access to my system tomorow morning :) Thanks for the
> help.

kernel can load modules as and when needed. For example, if you have
compiled the kernel making parport and parport_pc as modules; these modules
are not loaded at boot time (until configured to load at boot time by
/etc/modules). Whenever any application needs these modules, kernel loads
the modules first (using modprobe) and then applications can avail the
functionality provided by module.

Regards
Mohanlal