Re: Re: Sharing of major number

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 Kiran Kumar Immidi wrote :
> >     I dont know how to communicate my concern. I can't digest how come
> > MAJOR NUMBER identifies the driver rather than the device type as I
>
>   Hmm.. I have been watching this for a while. I thought I do have a possible
>answer to your question. Whenever there are cases like the one you spoke of
>(the video0 and video1 stuff), the drivers would not possibly register a
>major device number (the stuff of char and block numbers is quite irrelevant
>to this discussion), but would register to another interface.
>
>   For eg, all of USB devices have major number 180, this is registered by
>usbcore (drivers/usb/file.c). The other USB drivers for various devices would
>only use the interface usb_register(), or whatever to register their own
>drivers with the subsystem, and NOT register a major number again.
>
>   I guess a similar thing holds for other 'groups' of devices.
>
>--
>Regards,
>Kiran Kumar Immidi

I think you are right, becuse we have similar thing in case of MTD devices case
also. We basically register mtd-block or mtd-char device driver and then using
inter_module_register() and inter_module_unregister() calls just fills up a table which
is then referred by mtdblock or mtdchar drivers as and when that device is
accessed...

Thanks.
Sumit Sharma,
IBM, Bangalore.