From: kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Zeeshan Ali
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 12:58 PM
To: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Sharing of major number

Hello,
   AFAIK, the the major number identifies the device TYPES rather than
devices themselves and no major number could be registered by more
than one driver. My question is how does different drivers for
different devices share the same major number then? NOTE: I am not
talking of different device INSTANCES but different devices which have
different device drivers. Thanks in advance.

"All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda
system, there is a constant pressure to make people feel that they are
helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and
to consume." -- Noam Chomsky