upcall/downcalls kernel <-> user

Dear list,

I need mechanisms to implement an upcall from kernel to user.  A user
space application should be able to register at a particular hook.
Whenever the kernel wants to signal anything to the user application,
it should do the upcall.  Both sides should be able to pass abitrary
data back and forth as pointer to byte arrays and -- if possible --
signal the result of the call as return-value.  Is this possible?

After googling, I found quite often the recommendation to read the
code of the Linux coda filesystem implementation.  Reading code
reveals particular aspects but has not helped me understanding the
full picture.

Therefore my question:

Does anybody know of any good technical documentation of up- and downcalls
that not explains the concepts but gives also easy-to-understand
examples.

Thanks in advance for any help!

wbr,
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
<http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? -> <http://www.rawip.org> |