Re: Why is "make dep" gone in 2.6?

Timur Tabi <timur.tabi@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Why was the "make dep" option removed in the 2.6 kernels?  With 2.4, I
> could just do "make oldconfig dep" in a new kernel tree, and I could
> compile my modules externally.  Now in 2.6 I need to build the entire
> kernel before I can compile my modules.  Is there an alternative?

Yes.  A "make oldconfig" is usually enough.  I noticed that you are
using Suse 9.1 Pro.  When I was using that I followed the instructions
here:

  http://susefaq.sourceforge.net/faq/compile.html

I was still getting some permission denied errors when building a
module as a non-root user in an external directory, so in addition, I
also did "make" as root and hit control-C after it got to main.c.  By
that time, the pre-build setup stuff has been taken care of.

If there's a better way to do it, I'd like to know.

I say good riddance to "make dep", by the way.  The current scheme
handles dependencies better than the old way.

--
  Ed L Cashin <ecashin@xxxxxxxxxx>