Re: Why is -O binary used in kbuild ?

On 14 Sep 2004 12:48:42 -0000, matrix reloaded
<matrix_reloaded18@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>         I am going through the kbuild process and found that at some stage after
> building vmlinux inside "/usr/src/linux/" somewhere kbuild uses objcopy to build
> bzImage inside /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/compressed :-

> Could anyone please explain why we are creating binary image of vmlinux here.

We want a compressed kernel image that can uncompress itself and
appear as an x86 boot sector image rather than a standard ELF
executable file.

Linux build procedures tend to rely upon objcopy a lot to remove
unwanted sections from output files or to bodge in particular sections
- for example the dummy stage adds several utilities to an image file
which also contains the kernel image. I use objcopy on embedded boards
to bundle a kernel image with bootloader and firmware in to one
loadable image.

Cheers,

Jon.