From: aki ra [mailto:hioyjp@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 6:22 PM
To: Dhiman, Gaurav
Cc: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Send information from kernel to user

 --- "Dhiman, Gaurav" <Gaurav.Dhiman@xxxxxx> wrote :

> If you are trying to just write some specific data
> to log file at each fork() and exit() system call,
> it would be better that you register some type of
> signal to the kernel first (using sigaction() system
> call) and then do fork () and exit().

I'm trying to apply kind of user space filters. Here
is what I'd like to do. A user space application will
control the behaviour of some programs. For example,
the user can add a program to be under control, let's
say mozilla, and I want to display information about
mozilla and all its children with my user space
application and apply some filters (things like renice
or anything else). That's why I need to know when
mozilla calls sys_fork. The problem with the signal is
that it will be send to mozilla but not to my user
space application right? So, is it possible to send
from the do_fork() routine a signal to my user space
application (that is not the current one when
forking)?

Otherwise, I was thinking to use the kernel event
notification patch but I think that using the routine
send_kevent() when forking will slow down my system.

Thank you for your help
Regards,
Patrick

Vous manquez d'espace pour stocker vos mails ?