RE: Re: Device driver query

Hello,
 Thanks for your explanations. What i want actually is
to integrate a file in kernel source that will read
user file contents and send them for processing to
adjecent pc.
 all this should be in kernel not in user space (using
sockets i know).
so my question is about how to read file in kernel?
Regards,
linux_lover.
--- Gaurav.Dhiman@xxxxxx <Gaurav.Dhiman@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Proc files are dynamic files, their data is not
stored on HDD, there
> contents are generated by kernel when they are open
or read, actually
> they are the medium for processes to communicate
with kernel (to read
> the kernel specific data or set the kernel specific
parameters) ........
> you should not use them as normal files.
>

> Can you tell me what exactly you want to do, if you
want normal file
> behavior, what's the problem in using a normal file
which is maintained
> by file system.
>

> Regards,
>
> Gaurav
>

>   _____

Of linux lover
> Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 12:23 PM
> To: Shakthi Kannan
> Cc: kernelnewbies
> Subject: Re: Re: Device driver query
>

> Hello Shakthi,
>
>             But does it allow me to add or delete
contents in file like
> as usual normal file(I KNOW U SAID PROC FILE). What
i want to update
> contents of file periodically from user programs?
Does /proc allows to
> do that thing to me???
>
> regards,
>
> linux_lover.
>

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 Shakthi Kannan wrote :
> >Hi!

unloading

> >Why not use the /proc filesystem for this? It is
quite simple.

> >Example:
> >
> >int scull_read_procmem (char *buf, char **start,
off_t offset, int
> >count, int *eof, void *data) {
> >  int len = 0;
> >  len += sprintf (buf+len, "\nFrom
scull_read_procmem");
> >  return len;
> >}
> >
> >static void scull_create_proc() {
> >  create_proc_read_entry ("scullmem",
> >      0,
> >      NULL,
> >      scull_read_procmem,
> >       NULL);
> >}
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Shaks
> >
> >--
> >Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the
Linux kernel.
http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
> >FAQ:           http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/

protection around