detect devices automatically when compiling?

hello,

I always find difficult to compile the kernel. The trouble is: there
are too many device drivers available in the kernel source, and the
process of compiling (like "make menuconfig") renders all the devices
for the user to choose. And it is really confusing since chances are
that people dont know which devices are available in their machine, so
they dont know which device drivers should be selected to compile
(otherwise if they choose everything to make sure the kernel works,
the binary kernel would be too big).

I think it would be very nice for "make menuconfig" first trying to
detect what devices are available in the machine, then it "optimize"
the selection of drivers to be compiled. After that user can refine
what they want or not in the kernel.

Is there any way to do that kind of thing ?

Best regards,
aq