RE: Can a driver give root privileges to a process?

  I think that it's euid which is changed here... Actually your euid is checked to
check privilege things like passwd binary. If you do this :-

$ ls -l `which passwd`
-r-s--x--x    1 root     root        16336 Feb 14  2003 /usr/bin/passwd

As you can see here that "s" [Superuser bit] is set for this binary and using this
program any user can change "/etc/passwd" contents, because when a use runs
this binary, euid of the user process is set to the superuser and then it can access
and modify "/etc/passwd" file which a normal user can't modify using normal text
editors or some other tools...

You can refer to book written by Vijay Mukhi [Boundless C] for this stuff.

Thanks.
Sumit Sharma.