Re: What is EIP?

Lei Yang wrote:

Thank you!

What about the address following EIP? How can I go to that address and figure out what is wrong with the code?

EIP is at main+0x15a/0x220 [test_lei]
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Is the address position in the code?

I think you're going to have to figure it out on your own. Debugging device drivers is a very difficult task that takes months to learn and years of experience to perfect. Since you didn't know what EIP is, I'm assuming that you don't know assembly language, which in my opinion is a pre-requisite for any driver developer.

I suggest that you purchase a few books and study them. One on x86 architecture and assembly language, so that you're familiar with your processor. And you should get a couple Linux driver development books and study those. There are also plenty of online sources for driver development that you can find using google. After a few weeks of studying those, you should be able to do basic driver debugging, and then if you have any SPECIFIC questions, you can come back here and you'll get answers.

If there are any experienced driver developers in your company, you should ask them to teach you what they know.

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer