-save-temps not working with kbuild

The -save-temps gcc option tells the compile not to delete the temporary files. One reason to do this would be to preserve the assembly listings that get generated. The assembly listings are useful for kdb debugging.

When I try to specify -save-temps in my kbuild-style Makefile, I get this message during the build:

gcc: warning: -pipe ignored because -save-temps specified

In addition, the temporary files don't seem to be generated. Or at least, I can't find them.

What is the best way to get kbuild-style Makefiles to generate assembly listings?

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer