Re: High mem

Tyler wrote:

So, with the problem posed, this means that sometimes, the kernel is bigger than 1 GB of memory ??

I've wondered about this myself. One thing I do know is that when there's lots of RAM, the page tables start to take up too much memory. Some drivers that memory-map lots of PCI address space sometimes have problems loading. If I tell the kernel that I have less RAM (via the mem=xxx kernel command line), those drivers often load without any complaints. I'm not exactly sure why. I've read explanations about that in a number of books, but it just doesn't quite stick in my head.

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer