Re: udelay() and BogoMips doubts

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies, but nobody  answered about "BogoMips" and "loop_per_second".
If somebody knows the details of BogoMips, please let me know how it works and what is the role of it in udelay() function.

One more thing, as Prasanna said that while returning back from interrupt, check is doing if we are returning to kernel space or user space and then scheduler is called only if we are returning to user space and the time slot of current process has been expired. Please let me know, in case we are returning to kernel mode, why the scheduler is not called if the time slot of current process has expired, why such a decision is only taken if we are returning to user process. If the scheduler is called in this case also (when returning to kernel space), then situation like while() loop in kernel mode will not make the system hang. It will definitely bring the performance down, but will not give an impression of hanged system. Why scheduler is not called while retuning to kernel mode.

Regards,
Gaurav.

prasanna wakhare <prasannawakhare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
Some facts about timer handler:
When Scheduler invokes in 2.4? At every timer
interrupt jiffies are incremented and check is made
if current process time slice is over or it is waiting
for I/O ,so if its need_resched flag is set the
scheduler is invoked.
After this moment,
In case of code interrupt by a timer handler, at
IRET(interrupt return) the check is made whether the
code interrupted belongs to user land or kernel mode ,
If the code belongs to user land scheduler is invoked
immediately, if code is of kernel mode the interrupted
path is resume without invoking scheduler.
Please forgive me if i was wrong B'coz i think
something i missed out.
Prasanna.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail