How to configure hugepage support ?

Hi,
Can anyone please help me in configuring hugepage support in kernel ? After going through the document "/usr/src/linux/Documentation/vm/hugetlbpage.txt" I find that there is one file in /proc named "nr_hugepages" which I don't see on my system. What I can see while doing cat /proc/meminfo are the following 3 lines for HugePages :

HugePages_Total:     0
HugePages_Free:      0
Hugepagesize:     4096 kB

Now, if I do any shget with SHM_HUGETLB or mmap a file after mounting hugetlbfs, then I get a segfault or no memory available message and this is correst also as I don't have any hugepage to shared or map. But as I told you that I don't have any interface for increasing the no of hugepages with the help of /porc/sys/vm/nr_hugepages, so I can't help it. Please guide me what problem is with the approach I am following.

I don't find any code for "nr_hugepages" entry in /proc fs inside Kernel Source Code. FYI I mention that I'm talking of 2.6 kernel. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sumit.