From: Anupam Kapoor <anupam.kapoor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 22:52:17 +0530
Subject: building external modules with debugging symbols
To: kbuild-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hi all,

i have a bunch of source files that need to compiled together to
create a kernel module. this is quite straightforward with the
existing kbuild setup.

as part of creating the module, say foo.ko, i would also like to
create a module foo-debug.ko that contains the debugging symbols.

doing both of these seems to be (at least to me) non-trivial. ideally,
i would like to just invoke 'make' in the source dir, and have both
foo.ko and foo-debug.ko built.

i have tried this:
obj-m := foo.o foo-debug.o

which does create two modules, but (obviously) the foo-debug.ko has no
debugging symbols compiled in.

if it has already been discussed, apologies for bringing this again.
can you please point me to it ? googling has not revelaed anything :(

can you please cc me in your replies, as i am not subscribed to the list.

thanks
kind regards
anupam