Re: Page cache vs buffer cache

sanjay kumar wrote:
hi all
I have confusion regarding the usage of page cache and buffer cache.
AFAIK both are disk caches. Also buffer cache are part of
page cache. Then why do we require these two seperate caches.

TID
sanjayk

A page cache keeps some pages (entire pages).
A buffer cache keeps some buffers (generally less than a page).
When you try to access a page, the PC will look in the page cache.
When you try to access a buffer, the PC will look in the buffer cache.
Buffers and pages are two very different objects, use very often by the kernel. It is better to have differents caches for each object for a better understanding and also better performances.