Re: why System.map used?

Dhiman, Gaurav wrote:
System.map is a file which contains the addresses of all the kernel
identifiers (variable and function name) with their address. This is
used by utilities like 'insmod' to link the module with running kernel.
I don't think system.map is used by insmod because to get the required resolution we don't need a static file. You can read /proc/ksyms for that purpose.

I used system.map only to find the required addresses to put breakpoints from a hardware debugger (bdi2000). Same can be used for kgdb enabled debugging.

HTH.
omm