RE: inb and outb reference

Is there documented reference for inb() and outb()? I mean, I realize that, for example, to test for the success of inb(<mem address> + LSR) I'd have to check the LSB of the return value. But is there a listing of the meaning of return values that can be used to find the reason of failure when the return value does not indicate success?

Thanks in advance.

Raja Hayek.

Hi,
inb and outb is used to write and read from the i/o port. I think there is a man page.
But AFAIK, there cannot be a single generic reason for failure. Since they are used to read and write to ports of almost all kinds of chips(in PC), Each chip tells failure differently.
The instructions set reference does not define the the failure of those instructions. It simply reads or rites the data to and from port. It is the programmer's job to Check the read data is correct or not.
So, the cause of the failure is chip specfic.

Please  tell me if i am wrong anywhere.

regards manish

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/