Re: vma list in struct address_space

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Luciano A. Stertz wrote:

>          struct prio_tree_root   i_mmap;         /* tree of private
> mappings */
>          struct list_head        i_mmap_nonlinear;/*list VM_NONLINEAR
> mappings */
>
> 	i_mmap seems to be still listing private mappings, but i_mmap_shared
> was removed and i_mmap_nonlinear added.

The reasons are:
1) there has not been a difference since i_mmap and
   i_mmap_shared for a few years, so there is no need
   to maintain separate trees for each

2) with the object based rmap, there IS a difference
   between normal and nonlinear VMAs, so those do need
   different lists

> 	If I create a shared linear mapping, will it be kept in any of
> these lists?

Yes, a shared linear mapping will end up in the i_mmap tree.

> 	Or maybe the i_mmap comment is misleading, and now i_mmap maps
> linear vmas?

You guessed it right.   Maybe it's time to send in your
first kernel patch, fixing the comment ? ;)

Rik