pmd_offset vs pmd_alloc

Hello everybody,

I'm coding a syscall that requests pages to the operating system, and, searching for macros to use I've found these two that are very similar. I've read what is doing each one of the two but I really don't find them very different.

What's the most important difference between pmd_offset and pmd_alloc?

Another doubt, I need to find at what vma belongs a given address, having known the address and the mm descriptor with (current->mm). I've read about find_vma( ) and that there's a possibility of obtaining a vma that doesn't include address because this function searches the first vma that has vm_end field greater than address. How can I be sure that the vma that I'm getting is really the vma that I'm searching for?

TIA

Cristina.

Dale rienda suelta a tu tiempo libre. Encuentra mil ideas para exprimir tu ocio con MSN Entretenimiento. http://entretenimiento.msn.es/

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/