Re: VFS functions

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 22:41:57 +0530, Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> >> Basically, I intend to create a module that, when loaded, allows for
> >> file/directory replication. So if /home is meant to be replicated to /opt
> >> then /etc can contain a config file that has a line like:
> >> /home	   /opt
> >
> >Why do you want such a module?
>
> I wanted to replicate a local directory on a server to a NFS mounted
> directory. We tried to use rsync but for our directory sizes it worked out

It it would work with rsync (sans being too slow), it would work with
coda or intermezzo as well. With an added value that the synchronization
is transparently bidirectional.

> to be too slow. For a directory (you guessed it - mail) with about 80,000+
> files the sync time was about half an hour. Also, during the sync the
> utilization figures on the file server (a NetApp) would go high. We
> originally planned to export such NFS directories to all the mail servers
> from the NetApp fileserver so that if any mail server disks crashed we
> wouldn't lose any data and bring it back-up quickly. But since rsync turned
> out to be very slow for even a single server we had to scrap the idea of
> doing multiple servers.

A replicating filesystem is one solution. It has an advantage, that you
can easily move the handling of individual mailboxes between the servers
and the system would just do the right thing.

Of course, the usual way to protect against disk failure is
a replicating raid. For one thing network will never be just that fast.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>