Re: kernel & user space

hi,
Sticking to intel architecture,
 you will see the intel manuals but not repeating the
things, what they says that level 0 is highest
privilage level and code running in level0 can access
any other code but vice-versa ofcourse not allowed,
every OS takes the benifit from that, to  separate the
kernel code and data segments which executes in higher
privilage level from user code and data segments which
executes in ring3,
this way programs runnning with kernel privilage level

actually called to be executing in kernel space
and others in user space,
when one make a system call , the switch from user
space to kernel space happens it is nothing but the
segment selectors are loaded with kernel code and data

segments, the arguments etc. are passed in registers,
and then after call is over ,
again segment selectors are loaded with user code and
data segment(although scheduler is called in between
when return from sysctem call).

Prasanna.