Re: Doubt abt .config

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 02:04:05 -0800, bmsar_2k@fastem.com wrote:
>   How to find out Running kernel configuration.

You don't. At least, not generaly.

>          I tried /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config file. I understood this is
>          not an running kernel configuration. 'cause while trying to run

Obviously not. It is the configuration of last compilation.

>          one configure script it saying {warning: Active Kernel appears
>          to have been compiled with modversions}.

Than means, that you compiled/installed modules and not the kernel or
vice versa. It's generaly a bad idea. You should always compile both.

>          But in .config file {# CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is not set} i'm
>          seeing like this. {I mean its not enabled in config file}

New kernels have an option to include their configs. I believe it can be
found somewhere in proc (I never turn that on). The new installkernel
script (called by make install in kernel) copies .config to
/boot/config-<version>. So if you installed kernel with make install
(and you should have!), the config will be there.

The easiest way out of your ptoblems is recompiling both kernel and
modules (including those not in kernel tree) and reboot the new kernel.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>