Re: deleting compiled versions of kernel

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 21:54:54 -0700, Kiran Kumar wrote:
> --- suneesh <suneesh@naturesoft.net> wrote:
>
> > Just remove the unwanted 'bzImage' from /boot and
> > update your lilo
> > (/etc/lilo.conf)
> > or grub (/etc/grub.conf) to have entries of the
> > kernels needed.
>
>   Not quite sufficient, you will also have to remove
> the /lib/modules/`uname -r` directory.

Which is, obviously, false. There is only one such directory for each
kernel version. While you can have more than one kernel image of the
same version in boot, you can only have one set of modules.

> And I am sure, there are a few more things like that.

Each kernel installs:
/boot (or wherever you request it to) and modules in
/lib/modules/<version>. Beware, that directory contains a symlink to
your build-tree. If files for given <version> already exist, they are
renamed to *.old, except for module directory, which is simply replaced.

There are also the links /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/System.map. They are
usualy used to select default kernel, so they must not remain stale.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>